Since 2001, Canadian Royalties Inc. has discovered and delineated several potentially mineable nickel-copper-cobalt-platinum-palladium-gold deposits which collectively form the Nunavik Nickel Project.
The Nunavik Nickel mine, located 20 kilometres south of Xstrata’s Raglan nickel mine hoped to be in operation by the end of 2012. The revised project included the construction of a 4500 tpd concentrator to be fed by multiple mines. On-site work included the installation of fuel storage capacity, completion of personnel accommodations, building the network of roads, construction of the Bombardier Lake dam and concurrent engineering work. The mill started production at the end of 2012, and the port was ready by the shipping season of 2013. The mine site also has storage capacity for five to six months’ worth of production. Construction teams have completed a road to link the site with nearby Xstrata’s mine site, so Nunavik Nickel mine can share the Donaldson airstrip facilities there. Work during the summer 2011 season employed about 400 workers. Once the mine starts operation, Nunavik Nickel expects to employ about 500 workers, who will fill roughly 250 positions on alternating shifts.
Progesys is preparing the POV execution plan and providing expertise during the planning phase of POV and commissioning for the project. A team of commissioning experts will lead the pre-commissioning and commissioning activities on site during execution phase.
- Year of realization : 2012 –2013
- Project value : USD 900 Million
- Scope all facilities by systems to enable smooth transfer from EPC to owner operation team
- Definition and implementation of POVT roles and responsibilities matrix
- Overview of construction key milestones and planning of vendors on-site for pre-commissioning activities
- Preparation of a POVT execution plan for owner team
- Planning of Plant systems turn-over to owner
- Review and preparation of all verification forms of equipment and system test details
- Detailed planning of pre-commissioning and commissioning activities