Long Harbour Processing Plant – Vale
Looking for solutions?Contact us
Vale is a global company headquartered in Brazil, represented in 38 countries, and employing over 100,000 people worldwide. The Vale Long Harbor Processing Plant (LHPP) started its operations in 2014. The LHPP and the Voisey’s Bay mine and concentrator are combined as an integrated operation. The nickel concentrate from Voisey’s Bay are shipped to Long Harbour to be processed into finished nickel and associated copper and cobalt products.
While designing the LHPP, Vale sought to develop a new more efficient process for Voisey’s Bay concentrate, moving away from the traditional smelting and refining. Prior to the commercial plant construction, an extensive USD 200 Million R&D program was launched to explore the feasibility of hydrometallurgical (hydromet) technology. Based on the success of this program, a decision was made to build a commercial scale hydromet facility in Long Harbour and the total project value, all phases included, was around USD 3 Billion. Vale contracted PROGESYS for support in planning, management, and execution for the POV and Commissioning of their Phase 2: Expansion.
- Planned the POV and commissioning activities
- Managed the commissioning group work on site
- Ensured the commissioning set-up, including pre-testing and vendor assistance
- Ensured that the commissioning is efficiently executed to satisfy all commissioning objectives
- Ensured the completion of check sheets and related paperwork that facilitates the turnover of the sub-system to the operating group
- Assisted in the development and implementation of mitigation plans to overcome any schedule slippages resulting in identified commissioning shortfalls
- Monitored the completion of outstanding construction deficiencies and turnover to the client
- Communicated and worked collaboratively with other stakeholders
- Conducted LOTO and HSE training based on Vale’s needs and regulatory compliance requirements.
Oman, Mozambique, Malaysia and Indonesia
PROGESYS provided project management services within Vale PMO to manage their portfolio of projects which were in different stages in Indonesia, Oman, Malaysia, and Mozambique. PROGESYS offered its expertise in risk management, procurement, planning, construction, and project control.