Long Harbour Processing Plant – Vale Long Harbour, Newfoundland
Looking for solutions?Contact us
Vale is a global company headquartered in Brazil, represented in 38 countries, and employing over 100,000 people worldwide. The Vale Long Harbor Processing Plant (LHPP) started its operations in 2014. The LHPP and the Voisey’s Bay mine and concentrator are combined as an integrated operation. The nickel concentrate from Voisey’s Bay are shipped to Long Harbour to be processed into finished nickel and associated copper and cobalt products.
While designing the LHPP, Vale sought to develop a new more efficient process for Voisey’s Bay concentrate, moving away from the traditional smelting and refining. Prior to the commercial plant construction, an extensive USD 200 Million R&D program was launched to explore the feasibility of hydrometallurgical (hydromet) technology. Based on the success of this program, a decision was made to build a commercial scale hydromet facility in Long Harbour and the total project value, all phases included, was around USD 3 Billion. Vale contracted PROGESYS for support in planning, management, and execution for the POV and Commissioning of their Phase 2: Expansion.
- Planned the POV and commissioning activities
- Managed the commissioning group work on site
- Ensured the commissioning set-up, including pre-testing and vendor assistance
- Ensured that the commissioning is efficiently executed to satisfy all commissioning objectives
- Ensured the completion of check sheets and related paperwork that facilitates the turnover of the sub-system to the operating group
- Assisted in the development and implementation of mitigation plans to overcome any schedule slippages resulting in identified commissioning shortfalls
- Monitored the completion of outstanding construction deficiencies and turnover to the client
- Communicated and worked collaboratively with other stakeholders
- Conducted LOTO and HSE training based on Vale’s needs and regulatory compliance requirements.
Marabá – PA, Brazil
Progesys Brazil is awarded to provide services for integrated planning, offering support for risk management, Hazard, and Operability risks study (HAZOP) and critical analysis on the engineering design with a focus on environmental aspects, health & safety assessments, as well as Preliminary Risk Analysis.
Sao Paolo and Florianopolis, Brazil
Progesys Acttio is delivering their know-how in auditing mega projects and operational units, allowing clients to align and maintain internal business processes, as well as providing support on the deficiencies’ corrections in internal controls and processes, budgets and costs, planning, quality, and environment.