Vale Long Harbour, Newfoundland
Looking for solutions?Contact us
Vale is a global company headquartered in Brazil, represented in 38 countries, and employing over 100,000 people worldwide. The LHPP started its operations in 2014. The LHPP and the Voisey’s Bay mine and concentrator are combined as an integrated operation. The nickel concentrate from Voisey’s Bay will be shipped to Long Harbour to be processed into finished nickel and associated copper and cobalt products.
While designing the LHPP, Vale sought to develop a new more efficient process for processing Voisey’s Bay concentrate, moving away from the traditional smelting and refining. Prior to the commercial plant construction, an extensive USD 200 million R&D program was launched to explore the feasibility of hydrometallurgical (hydromet) technology. Based on the success of this program, a decision was made to build a commercial scale hydromet facility in Long Harbour, the total project value, all phases included, is around USD 3 Billion. Vale contracted PROGESYS for support in planning, management, and execution for the POV and Commissioning of their Phase 2: Expansion.
- Support planning, POV, and commissioning activities.
- Responsible for the management of the commissioning group work on site.
- Ensure the commissioning set-up, including pre-testing and vendor assistance, and make certain that the commissioning is efficiently executed to satisfy all commissioning objectives.
- Ensure completion of check sheets and related paperwork that facilitates the turnover of a sub-system to the operating group.
- Assist in developing and implementing mitigation plans to overcome any schedule slippages resulting in identified Commissioning shortfalls.
- Monitor the completion of outstanding construction and commissioning punches and turnover readiness.
- Communicate and work collaboratively with various project disciplines including other commissioning groups, commissioning support groups, Vale project engineering, QA, and construction.
- Conduct LOTO and HSE training based on Vale’s needs and regulatory compliance requirements.
Oman, Mozambique, Malaysia and Indonesia
Progesys provided project management services within Vale PMO to manage their portfolio of projects which were in different stages in Indonesia, Oman, Malaysia and Mozambique. Progesys offered their expertise in risk management, procurement, planning, construction, and project control.
Houston, Texas, USA
Air Liquide requested Progesys to provide PMO services in the Houston (USA) area as owner representative. Progesys’ resources were integrated and complemented the Air Liquide project team to help planning, schedule construction activities and review engineering packages.